baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:44:18 -0500

David Moberg wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

How complicated would it be to run inetd with a list of one permitted login?

Not one permitted login, one permitted IP address. You'd have to
edit a configuration file.

I have been scanned approximately 60 times in the past 3 days. I only get attacked about once a week, and the attackers have never been successful. By attacked, I mean mass-guessing passwords, 100+ times. Most scanners give up after 15 guesses or so. Note, this is only info about my SSH server, never mind my FTP server (the latest vsftpd).

I'm never trying telnetd for anything longer than 5 minutes, after
reading this.

David

I wouldn't recommend you allow telnetd to be publicly accessible AT ALL. My utelnetd is accessible only inside my local network, so the only way to get to it from the outside would be telnetting to it through my SSH session. Also, I'd recommend that you set it to use an obscure port, that's what I do.

Also, people attack me alot more because they've already discovered me, since my server has been running for a long while.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement