baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:56:50 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> > If I connect two computers via serial cable and run one as a dumb
> > terminal (it involves editing an agetty line in a file in /etc
> > and typing a longish line involving pppd and the IP numbers which
> > is described in netsetup) is there any similar risk involved to
> > running in.telnetd? I have to remember to undo the changes to
> > agetty or I can't use the serial port for mouse or camera or
> > modem. I don't think anyone on the web can sneak into my serial
> > port when I am not looking.

You're right. The serial port is off-limits, unless you have an insecure
telnetd running.

> I never did get kermit file transfer to work and I don't recall if
> Steven's send/receive scripts work over this sort of connection.

Are you using PPP or a dumb terminal? PPP is near-impossible to set up
in DOS. You can use send/receive with a PPP link.

> I should be able to go online with two computers on one modem
> connection this way - is it safer than in.telnetd?

Yes.

> The Serial Networking business in BL3 netsetup is not dumb
> terminal, it is similar to ethernet or plip networking and I think
> would be used with in.telnetd or send/receive so would be a
> security risk.

send/receive isn't much of a security risk. Just make sure you get the
right file.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com