baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: dos AT lieber.com.ar, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:43:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Alejandro Lieber wrote:

On 17 Mar 05 at 12:56, David Moberg wrote:

Are you using PPP or a dumb terminal? PPP is near-impossible to set up
in DOS. You can use send/receive with a PPP link.

The DOS version of lynx for 386 (Doug Kaufmann) is set up to use DOS pppd and chat. But the default timing was such that they only worked on about half of my modems so I switched to miniterm from Arachne, which usually works. I had lynx working on a 386 with 3MB RAM. Arachne worked on a 286 with 1MB RAM when I deleted the icons and gifs. The DOS lynx for the XT (bobcat) came with another dialer/packet driver that usually works too.

You have to know what you are doing, or have help, to set up PPP in DOS, and even Doug did not know how to change the timing to make it work for me.

Is this a joke ?

All my internet conections in the last 8 years are by DOS PPP (and BL3 PPP).

For fun, I sometimes use a 20Mhz 80286 with 1Mby memory.

I have used the Arachne FTP and telnet programs after dialing with miniterm or PPP, in 1MB RAM.

How would one use raw pppd to dial in linux, without EZNET? Using a single line command rather than a config file - something involving
epppd /dev/ttyS1 modem crtcsc (?) 115200 and I don't know what to do about IP numbers or phone number or init string.

With this 80286 I run Gopher, POP3, SMTP, NTTP, FTP, HTTP, and mostly TELNET
to a Unix server runing LYNX to the internet, where I can download ANY file
using the kermit or zmodem protocol. BL2 and BL3 were downloaded this way.

This email is sent with a 80386 with DOS PPP (LSPPP).

I just downloaded and set up the latest Arachne 1.8.1 for DOS but discovered it is apparently missing telnet.exe. And the arrow mouse is either not set up yet or no longer working, and the tab to move between links won't work on some screens even at the Arachne home page. Basiclinux is a lot better tested before release.

Are you using LSPPP to dial before using Arachne?

Read net news (USENET) with Arachne: http://www.lieber.com.ar/nnews.zip
Sans Serif fonts for MS-DOS at: http://www.lieber.com.ar/novafont.zip
Configurable dialing menu for several DOS internet programs at:
http://www.lieber.com.ar/dial_ip.zip