baslinux - Re: [BL] parallell port

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] parallell port
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:13:24 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fredrik Gustafsson" <iveqy AT swimmail.com>

> Hi, I'm trying to use BL3 for controlling the parallell port with a simple
> c++
> program. How do I find the address for my parallell port? Couldn't fint it
> in
> dmesg. Does BL3 even support parallell ports?

You need to load the parport and parport_pc modules. If
you need a printer-like interface to the parallel port,
you also need the lp module. You may need a different
module for a different use of the parallel port.

> thanks for your help. Any code examples for recieving/transmitting to the
> parallellport are also welcome :)

Be aware that if you're coming from programming on a
more permissive operating system, like DOS, Linux does
not let you write straight to the hardware. You have to
make a bunch of kernel calls to make everything work.
Have a look at the kernel source and documentation for
more details.

Incidentally, what are you using the parallel port for?
For networking or file transfer, Linux has the PLIP
networking over parallel feature. There's also a PLIP
driver for DOS. Have you checked and made sure that
whatever you're doing hasn't been done before? Even if
it hasn't, there still might be some good code you
could learn from.

Good luck,
David

once.