baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:41:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> What kind of data loss? I have never known a less buggy program
> than kermit.

No piece of software is perfect. If you can, you should run everything
as user. It really helps prevent bad things from happening, both
intentionally and accidentally.

> Xvesa seems like a much greater threat to data since
> I lose my cursor and my half-typed mails.

Definitely. You'll have to decide if the small size and complexity of
Xvesa make up for the security and stability risks. Xfbdev seems more
stable, but you need a kernel with rramebuffer support.

> I have only been on once with in.telnetd and won't do it again
> unless I am using as server something with no hard drive - or
> should the client also have no hard drive?

The client's not what you're worried about. Telnet clients have
little to fear, as they only handle text and data, and only send
it back and forth.

> How about as client a
> laptop 386 in DOS that does have a hard drive, connected as dumb
> terminal via a terminal program?
> Would someone be able to get through the RAMDISK BL on the server
> (running telnetd) to mess up my DOS hard drive on the 386? And as
> server another laptop running linux from ramdisk?

No.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com