baslinux - Re: [BL] HTTPD

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTTPD
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:45:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Clement" <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>

> > Why then is it considered unsafe to go online with Kermit in
> > linux as root and I am supposed to do it as user?
>
> (I don't have any experience with kermit, so i can't answer this one)

It's more for protection from bugs in kermit that could result in data
loss, than someone else on the "network".

> >> If you're dialed in for a minute or so, very small. If you stay connected
> >> for a year, very high.
> >

> > How about for 2 hours?
>
> I really wouldn't recommend it. Really wouldn't.

Go on for 2 hours every day for a week, and I can almost guarantee that
someone
will have at least tested how secure your system is, if not tried to abuse it.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com