baslinux - Re: [BL] hd problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hd problem
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:16:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

On 20 Feb 2005 at 16:42, sindi keesan wrote:
Would someone else with BL3 on a computer with a FAT32 partition like to
experiment with this?

Usual proviso, Sindi: you are way way beyond what I can comprehend, in
this stuff.

Me too ;=0 but I tend to jump in over my head and yell for help.
Lots of helpful people on this list.

It is a month or so since I used BLxxx; I will go see what I can do.

According to Ranish Partition Manager and MS's fdisk, my first primary
partition is a FAT32 of about 775 Mb. (DOS/Windows drive C:)

Now I will save this message from my Win98 email program, restart in DOS,
and see what's in C:\BASLIN

OK, here is what I used from DOS:

loadlin zimage root=/dev/loop0 initrd=initfs.gz rw

After I got to a BL3 prompt, I did df , and it showed my C: drive as /DOS
Midnight Commander saw it fine.

fdisk /dev/hda showed the first partition as a Win95 FAT32, if I recall
correctly.

So it looks like Bl3 was able to mount your FAT32 partition even though the kernel is compiled without vfat, and so they are not the same thing.

Can you read long file names in the FAT32 partition?
What is linux using vfat for in BL2?

Thanks,
Sheldon