baslinux - Re: [BL] hd problem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hd problem
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:17:33 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > BL2 does vfat.
>
> I just look up the .config and yes it does,
> but BL3 does not. (Why?)

The usual reason: to make a smaller kernel.

> Does it detect ext2 automatically?

Usually.

> If I have fat and vfat in the kernel will it do DOS
> drives automatically?

The auto-detect does not differentiate between fat,
vfat and umsdos. The only way to be sure of getting
the right one is to specify it with the -t parameter.

> So VFAT is not FAT32?

Isn't it?

> Can the Bl2 kernel mount a FAT32 partition?

I assumed vfat would handle it, but I have little
experience with Windows partitions.

> Why did I get a message saying the kernel does not
> support vfat

Probably because you had no vfat in your kernel.

> and then I was able to mount it as msdos?

Because you had msdos in your kernel.

> I am obviously confused.

AFAIK Linux has three DOS-type filesystems: msdos,
vfat and umsdos. msdos is the standard 8.3 DOS.
vfat has long filenames. umsdos is for running
Linux on a DOS filesystem.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru