baslinux - Re: [BL] hd problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] hd problem
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:16:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Steven, is it possible that my mounting FAT32 with
BL2 (or BL3) could have caused the problem?

BL2 does vfat.

I just look up the .config and yes it does, but BL3 does not. (Why?)
bare.i kernel does. I set up my kernel for vfat as a module which appears to be a mistake. Now even when I try to mount a floppy disk it tells me the kernel does not support vfat (when I am trying to mount a DOS floppy disk without long file names) and I have to specify -t msdos.
I will recompile with vfat=y.

CONFIG_VFAT_FS This option provides support for normal
Windows filesystems with long filenames. That includes
non-compressed FAT-based filesystems used by Windows 95,
Windows 98, Windows NT 4.0, and mtools.

I thought mount automatically detected the file
system type,

It does with some types, but not others.

Does it detect ext2 automatically? If I have fat and vfat in the kernel will it do DOS drives automatically? I don't know if my floppy disk was formatted with DOS 7.10 (which does long file names).

So VFAT is not FAT32? Can the Bl2 kernel mount a FAT32 partition?

Why did I get a message saying the kernel does not support vfat and then I was able to mount it as msdos? I am obviously confused.

or does it just assume msdos if it is not linux?

No.

Usually when I try to mount DOS hd or fd with Bl2 (or Bl3?) it mounts it but tells me it did not find an ext2 filesystem. The way I have it with modules it tells me the kernel does not support vfat and does not mount the drive.