baslinux - [BL] BL2 kernel and ethernet

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 kernel and ethernet
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:43:17 +0000 (UTC)

I am trying to make sense of the help file for kernel compilation.

It says to CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=m for tulip.o and CONFIG_RTL_8139=m for rtl8139.o but BL2 has neither of these set, and both tulip and rtl8139 work perfectly anyway (both PCI cards) once I added the modules for them.

Is there any reason to CONFIG_DEC_ELCP for tulip if it works in BL2 without that?

I also have 3COM Etherlink III 3c509 (CONFIG_EL3=m) and 3c59x (VORTEX)
cards which BL2 kernel is configured for (neither needs the 8390.o - but how would one configure for that?)

I notice CONFIG_EISA=y - does anyone on the list actually have an EISA ethernet card, or what is this about? Can I change it to N?

When I added support for the two 3com cards and the tulip, my kernel got 15K larger. I think this is a big reason why the BL2 kernel is larger than what I am getting (along with math emu).

Can you add modules for any PCI ethernet cards and have them work with the BL2 kernel? I have four each tulip and rtl8139 cards and those worked in BL2. Also two PCI 3c59x and 4-5 ISA 3c509 (EL3) and even one ISA EL2, and (ISA) an ne and two ne2k-pci and an smc-ultra but not yet a wd or ewrk3 or eepro100 or tlan - do other list members have any of these?

Steven, how did you decide which modules to actually include, was it based on what you owned?

There are now lots of free PCI ethernet cards (100MBit) around as people are getting faster ones and/or computers with onboard ethernet.