baslinux - [BL] Multi User Problems

  • From: "Jason Chall" <shaggychall AT yahoo.com>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] Multi User Problems
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:28:00 -0500

I am trying to setup multi user access on my BL3 machine, not so much as to
have multi users but so that login is password protected. I installed the
shadow.tgz package from Slackware 4 using pkg shadow.tgz After this I tried
to issue a login command which prompted me so I entered root but would not
except no password so did CTRL-C to abort. I then added root using the
adduser command and specified root as the group and I received an error
about unknown group but it added the user anyways. When I attempt the
command groupadd root I get the error groupadd: unable to open group file
even after manually creating /home/root When I attempt to login as root by
simply issuing the login command at the shell I get the error initgroups: no
such file or directory Feb 20 12:22:28 login[313]: initgroups failed for
user 'root': no such file or directory So my question is 1) how do I fix
this problem 2) how do I force users to login at boot

Thanks,
Jason