baslinux - Re: [BL] Multi User Problems

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Multi User Problems
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:06:19 +1300

Jason Chall wrote:

> I am trying to setup multi user access on my BL3 machine,

If you want multi-user, I recommend you use BL1 or BL2.
They both have a multi-user foundation. BL3 does not.

> I installed the shadow.tgz package from Slackware 4

That's not enough. You need agetty, a new /etc/inittab
and probably some other stuff too.

> I received an error about unknown group
> I get the error groupadd: unable to open group file

You need a correctly configured /etc/group (as well as
a correctly configured /etc/passwd).

> how do I fix this problem

It is certainly fixable, but IMHO not worth the effort.
BL3 was designed to provide basic functionality on old
low-RAM systems. It uses a small kernel, small libraries,
a simplified init, busybox binaries, a mini Xserver and
slim applications to maximize performance on low-RAM
systems.

If you have 32mb RAM or more, I recommend you use BL2,
which provides a fuller foundation and more powerful
capabilities (via Slackware 7.1 packages).

I use BL2 (with Firebird, Gnumeric and AbiWord) on my
primary computer (128mb RAM). That's what I'm using
right now. I use BL3 on my 486 laptop (12mb RAM).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru