baslinux - Re: [BL] zip drives with BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] zip drives with BL
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 15:52:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Are vfat and msdos the same thing?

No. msdos was for DOS. vfat was for Windows (95 I think).
vfat is similar to mdsos but has long filenames.

I believe msdos is FAT16 while vfat is FAT32. The latter supports long
file names and drives over 2GB. FAT16 is limited to 2GB partition sizes
and 8.3 filenames.

msdos/fat16 should be quite adequate then for a 100MB zip drive and we won't reformat. That way we can also access it from any DOS.

James

Has anyone tried the latest freedos himem and emm386 to see if they will work with loadlin? The old emm386 required doing something complicated so we simply did not use it. We are getting low on DOS memory now (with pcmcia card and zip drivers). We want to put freedos not 7.10 on this next computer before learning to use zip drives in linux.