baslinux - Re: [BL] zip drives with BL

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] zip drives with BL
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 02:46:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Sheldon wrote:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt
That worked in BL2, but not in BL3, I think.

The BL2 kernel has built-in vfat capability.
The BL3 kernel doesn't (until you insmod the vfat module).

Sindi wrote:

Are vfat and msdos the same thing?

No. msdos was for DOS. vfat was for Windows (95 I think).
vfat is similar to mdsos but has long filenames.

I was told the zip disk is formatted in DOS - this means we should use -t msdos and avoid long file names, right?
Is msdos fat16 and vfat fat32?

If I understand correctly, iw (from Ron) is needed only to format the disk, if you don't mind typing out mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /zip every time (instead of using iw to mount the disk). This is if you use DOS guest program to load the required .sys file and manage things, and for internal ATAPI zip drive. The scsi external drive will also need the scsi card module as well as the right kernel (zipslack.s).

This may be a while. My partner is trying to get the latest freedos on there with the fixed himem and emm before installing DOS and linux. I am working on flashing an external 56K modem from x2 to v90 -
ftp.usr/com/updates/archive -lists the updates by product ID.
(This site took an hour to find and ati7 is supposed to give you the product id if you cannot find it on the modem itself. I found the last one by Model Number instead but there were three different models by that number of which only one worked with the update program, a Windows model).

This will free up an ISA slot so we can also try the scsi adaptec card in there, for which I found the module.

Thanks to everyone for all the help.