baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:23:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Instead of making these two links would it work to do
ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include /usr/include ?

No. That would eliminate the real /usr/include
which has lots of other useful stuff.

I took a look and there are lots of .h files in there. I made both your suggested links separately and things mostly worked.

Can one compile a kernel using the source code
directly off the CD

Probably not (and it definitely won't work if
the source code on the CD is gzipped).

instead of installing it to hard drive?

No need to install. Just copy the archive to /tmp
and unpack. cd to the top directory of the archive,
make config, make dep, make bzImage. When you are
done, you can delete everything with a single rm.

Is it about 100MB? I have a 2G drive on one computer so I could just leave it there and use that computer to compile kernels for the laptop 386 with 387 but no pci or pcmcia or cd-rom drive (to make it smaller), and the pentium with cd burner and scsi scanner that needs scsi drivers and sound support and scanner driver, without pcmcia support (to make it larger). Does a larger kernel take longer to work or just take up more space and RAM and load more slowly?

Could I practice on the SW3.2 kernel using BL2 to compile it? Or do I need to compile using the same version of the kernel? I think 3.2 kernel should be a lot smaller and faster to experiment on and I could look at your BL1 configuration for suggestions.

But first I need to finish compiling gs.

I looked for mention of jasper in 'configure' and was told I could run
./configure --with-jasper=no (or --without-jasper) and I tried that (also without-x and without-ijs, whatever that is - Chinese?) but it still got stuck on jasper. There was also mention in configure of editing some files to work with jasper. How do I get rid of jasper?!!!!!