baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:46:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

If I were to compile with SW81 would the result work
with BL2 and the upgraded glibc?

Usually. The only issue I can see would come
from compiling on a 2.4 kernel and running on
a 2.2. But that is unlikely to cause many problems.

No need, I got it working in BL2 on another computer.

CFLAGS -I /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include
I was told I can also put this in the environment
(how? export something in profile?)

On my system /usr/include/linux is linked
(ln -s) to /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux

I am missing this for some reason, probably deleted it somehow while also removing hardware related things I did not need (for Apple and Sparc....).
Do you know of any large category of things I can delete which glibc installed other than /usr/src/linux/asm* other than generic and i386?

MANY MANY THANKS - I have spent countless hours trying to puzzle this out.

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux /usr/include/linux

and /usr/include/asm is linked (ln -s) to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/asm-i386
I have this one.

I was just able to configure for ghostscript!!!!!! No complaints about /lib/cpp being insane this time.

I will redo this after editing the part about devices in order to just compile for the printers that we have, skip most of the non-printer devices, and also add whatever is needed to display with SVGAlib. In DOS this is 'al' (allegro) but I don't see it for linux - do you happen to know? I have a DOS port of gs which takes a very long time to load because of all the device drivers and/or fonts, using al and ge devices.

Would it help if I compiled with ALL the devices and posted the result for general use (with upgraded glibc 2.2.5)? I am not going to include the Asian fonts.

It did not help to reinstall linuxinc and make
(from SW71) and gcc and gccg++

What's gccg++ ???

gcc-g++-2.95.3-i386-2.tgz from SW81 - maybe it is only needed for compiling c++ (I needed it once for something - arrow mouse?)

and glibc from SW81.

You should normally get gcc, make, glibc and
binutils from the same version of Slackware.
linuxinc (or equivalent) should match your
target kernel.

Oops. I had better remove kernel-headers from the other BL2 computer and put back linuxinc. Is it okay to keep using gcc 2.95.3 instead of 2.95.2? (In case the SW81 compiler it requires the matching glibc from SW81 I have upgraded to it.) It and make work okay on the other computer which compiles.

Thanks again! I am excited. Now I can try to compile kernels for the 386 laptop and the cd-burner and scsi scanner after conquering ghostscript and ghostview.