baslinux - [BL] kernel compilation

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: halinux AT kvinet.com
  • Subject: [BL] kernel compilation
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 02:48:48 +0000 (UTC)

I compiled for a 386 laptop with 387 math coprocessor but no pci, pcmcia, or ethernet, to which we might plug in a parport Backpack CD-ROM drive or a zip drive so I did
make [config is optional] and answered a bunch of questions Y or N or M (for modules) or ? to learn more.
make dep - 30 sec to make a Makefile

make bzImage - it got stuck on:

..../boot
as86 -0 -a -o bbootsect.o bbootsect.s
as86 Command not found Error 127

There was no as86 on my computer.

In MANIFEST.gz I found it in bin86.tgz. 'The bin86 package is needed to compile the kernel'. (Nobody told me this before, did they?)

I installed SW7.1 bin86.tgz and it is compiling again (with gcc and make and binutils from SW81 and glibc2.2.5).

It finished without errors this time:
Root device is (3, 66) [what does this mean?]
Boot sector is 512 bytes.
Setup is 1288 bytes.
System is 392 kB

There is a bzImage in ./arch/i386/boot/bzImage 404642 bytes (392K?). I will try booting bl3 with it (loop) with mem=3M. I left in loop and ramdisk in the kernel so this would work. Renamed it zimag386.

Since it puts files into the directory and subdirectories where I unpacked the kernel source, including the kernel image itself, I think you would need to reconfigure something to put files elsewhere in order to compile from a CD with source files.

It booted with this new kernel and mem=3M. I made sure to compile with loop and ramdisk Y as in BL3 kernel so I could use the loop version of BL3.

Making a /dev/loop0 Press enter to login...

Free: Total 1744 Used 1520 Free 224 Shared 480 Buffers 324

Free plus Buffers gives me 548K to work in.

I am astonished it worked. Anyone should be able to compile a kernel given bin86.tgz, even with make gcc and binutils from a later version.

This was MUCH easier and faster (once I found as86) than compiling any programs. I deleted the non i386 parts of /include and /arch and /drivers and /Documentation to save space. This put me down to 67MB of source code (without hamradio or acorn either). I could probably delete ftape and zorro bus and other things as well if I knew what they were (acorn says it is specific to ARM).

I was able to run okay in 3MB RAM until I tried to ls 11MB of /net.

Is there some way to extract my configuration from Makefile or wherever it went so I can use it again with slight modifications (add pci and pcmcia back for the newer 486)?

I did not make any modules and will use the ones from SW71 - but how would I have made modules if needed? Do I just put the code in the same directory where the other code is while compiling the kernel?

The zimage that I made with support (I hope) for parport zip and backpack parport cd-rom drives is 404642 bytes. Steven's generic BL3 386 kernel is 435775 and his p1 420879. Why are the kernels for later hardware smaller?

My earlier one is smaller because I omitted cdrom and pci and pcmcia and ethernet module support and nls support.