baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:20:21 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

> I thought Steven said it hooked to the IDE controller (the 'pins').
> Which is it? If to the cable, these might fit into one of those boxes
> intended for use with external hard drives that goes into a 5.25" bay and
> is attached to an IDE cable that plugs into the controller. How long is
> this adaptor?

Mine hooks to a cable (male plug on the adaptor). It is mounted on a card
about 2 inches by 3 inches. The card has holes in it, probably in the same
locations hard drives have mounting holes in their bottoms. For someone
like your partner, I'm sure it wouldn't be an insurmountable task to make
one of these mount in or on the case somewhere. As to not having free IDE
channels: you could do what I read about one guy doing, which is to
fashion a special IDE cable with 3 plugs and hook 3 IDE devices on one
channel. Then, you use a toggle switch that turns on/off 12V power to two
of the three (which allows you to toggle between two of the three).
Needless to say, any such devices should not be automounted.

James