baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:00:08 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

THe following was because the compiler could not find some files after I carelessly apparently destroyed a symlink:

CFLAGS -I /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include

On my system /usr/include/linux is linked
(ln -s) to /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/linux
and /usr/include/asm is linked (ln -s) to
/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include/asm-i386

Instead of making these two links would it work to do

ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.2.16/include /usr/include ?

I have three more machines to fix.

You should normally get gcc, make, glibc and
binutils from the same version of Slackware.
linuxinc (or equivalent) should match your
target kernel.

Can one compile a kernel using the source code directly off the CD instead of installing it to hard drive? I don't care if it takes longer, I can go wash dishes while waiting (which is how I treat Windows).

I put back egcs (not as the Slackware instructions said, which was to removepkg gcc and installpkg egcs) but just by remaking the link from gcc to egcs and I got a lot further into this, so the mismatch of gcc from SW81 and binutils and make from SW71 may have been one problem (along with having lost my symlinks) but now I have another error (using egcs gmake binutils from SW71 but glibc2.2.5 from SW81, or even with gcc make and binutils from SW81 instead).

make: [obj/zfjpx.o] Error 1

In file included from jasper/src/libjasper/include/jasper/jasper.h:65 ....
jasper....../jasper/jas_config.h:80: #error No appropriate build configuration found!

Line 65 is #include <jasper/jas_config.h>
jas_config.h says for Windows to include "jas_config_win32.h" #else
/* define other platform-specific configurations here */
#error No appropriate build configuration found!

Above that is something about include "jas_config_ac.h" to use a configure-based build. I have that and also ac.h.in.

In file included from .... jasper.h:66 ...
jasper/src/libjasper/include/jasper/jas_types.h:106 windows.h: No such file or directory.

jas_types has something about Windows compilers and not defining "long long" and "unsigned long long" and I was getting a lot of warnings about that sort of stuff going by during make. jas_types then says to obtain the 64-bit types from the header file windows.h.

I found xwindows.h in MANIFEST.gz for SW71 but not windows.h .
It is also not in SW81 MANIFEST.gz. I don't think I am supposed to be compiling for windows so something went wrong with jas_config.h.

I tried compiling (an older version of ghostscript, 8.14) on the computer where I had also installed binutils and make from SW81 (along with gcc 2.95.3 and glibc 2.2.5) and it compiled perfectly there. I do NOT have a ghostscript*/jasper subdirectory so this is something that was added since gs 8.14.

Does anyone know what jasper is doing in there and can I somehow omit it and still read pdf 1.5 files, which is all I really need this newer gs for (tho it also lets me view files in higher resolution and I think rotated).

more of jas_config.h:

/*Avoid problems due to multiple inclusion. */
#ifndef JAS_CONFIG_H
#define JAS_CONFIG_H

#if defined(HAVE_CONFIG_H) || defined(JAS_CONFIGURE)

/* A configure-based build is being used. */
#include "jas_config_ac.h"

#elif defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(JAS_WIN_MSVC_BUILD)

/* MSVC [some Windows-based C compiler] or other MS W. platform build */
#include "jas_config_win32.h"

# else

/* define other platform-specific configurations here */
#error No appropriate build configuration found!

How do I define a platform-specific configuration here????? Are we really expected to be writing this code in order to compile, or was 8.50 tested only for Win32 (for which I found a precompiled binary).

Do I need jasper to view pdf 1.5 and if not can I omit it somehow?