baslinux - Re: [BL] Linux does it better

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Linux does it better
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:35:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is it okay to keep using gcc 2.95.3 instead of
2.95.2?

Yes, in fact it is the best option (as long as you
use the matching glibc, binutils and make from
Slackware 8.1).

I have been using gmake and binutils from SW71 on all but the one
computer that I put together for my partner (with the kernel-headers for SW81 which I need to change back to linuxinc from SW71 - or are they simply ignored when compiling kernel 2.2.16?)

Would this explain why ghostscript compilation got stuck after compiling a couple dozen object files? As a test I can try compiling on the computer with make from SW81, I guess.

make:

[obj/gsciemap.o] Error 1 (exited)

/tmp/cc05123w.s : 189 no such 386 instruction: 'filds'
(five more of this line with different line numbers - I did not find any cc05123w.s file)

It did fine with SANE.

How did you ever manage to compile so many programs for BL with your odd mixture of parts from different places?

I got Mozilla/Firefox to work (it does ActiveX and Opera does not - a visitor needed ActiveX to check his google email which allows 1G storage) by first installing libgtk.tgz (in BL2 with glibc2.2.5) and then unpacking the big Mozilla .tar.gz in / and and then typing Mozilla while in X. Did it install itself while I was not looking? I tried it only with XSVGA because my partner seems to have broken Xvesa somehow. Does it also work with Xvesa in BL3 with updated glibc?

Mozilla took 30 sec to load in Win98 but is nearly instant in linux, why?