baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BL3 <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:23:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Mr Christopher Rose wrote:

I am contemplating upgrading to the zimage.4dx kernel.
How would I do this? I have never tried to do a kernel
upgrade before and as such I do not know what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.

Use a text editor (they come with the various DOS'es are are usually called 'edit' to edit the file in your baslin directory named hd.bat and change zimage to zimage.4dx.

Or copy it first and rename it to hd4.bat and edit the copy if you want to keep the original.

As long as your kernel is the same version number (2.2.16 for Bl2 and Bl3) it does not make a big difference which zimage you use. You can also use the ones from Slackware 4 or 7.1 in the various kernel directories, such as bare.i, which is needed to listen to sounds. All of the kernels that Steven posted for Bl3 are 2.2.16, they are just optimized for different cpus. I assume you have a 486.

To upgrade libc, use the glibc package from SW71 or SW81 and simply install it. It will coexist with the libc5 library from SW40 used in Bl3 and let you run programs that need the later libraries.

> Pax,
Christopher