baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:36:01 +0000 (UTC)

I also downloaded bash binary compiled with dietlibc - would this work better than the five-year-old bash from SW4.0?

I'm not sure that it would work at all.

Why not? The dietlibc one is statically compiled - would it not work with BL3 for any particular reason?

Sorry, I didn't know that it was statically compiled. Then my answer would be yes, it would work better.

The ash shell in BL3 is part of busybox - perhaps I should also download the ash from dietlibc? The class starts in a few days and we will know then what shells are needed.

Could I create a .profile and .login and only use them when running in a particular shell, after typing bash or tcsh? Do I type bash login or something to use .profile? Exit and then Enter again? I have very little experience with this sort of stuff.

On my modern linux machine, .profile is only executed when you come from login.

Isn't there some way to execute it after logging in too? I recall doing something like chroot .... /bash/bin login (???) when I booted with BL3 and then wanted to run BL2 from hd.

Instead of setting up user accounts, could I convert the loop bl3 to bash and the hd bl3 to tcsh? If so, how?
Sorry, I've only gotten 3 hours of sleep for the last couple days, I'm a little on the tired side :P . Yes, the loop version is easy to change so feel free to go right ahead :) .

But what file(s) would I change to convert from the default to bash or tcsh? I also need bash to install dosemu - is it enough to just have it on the computer?

I had better do some background reading about shells. The computer is for my partner but I am helping set it up, and he will then learn enough to help me write scripts later.

Sindi Keesan