baslinux - Re: [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:47:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I made an alias X
'Xvesa &rxvt -e icewm'
Is there some better alias?

Xvesa &icewm ??

That just gives me the grey pattern with X (mouse pointer) on it. I have been through this before. Xvesa &rxvt -e icewm does work, it just leaves the rxvt on the screen, no big deal.

The rxvt that I get this way is too wide for my screen

There are parameters for rxvt to specify window
size, font size, etc.

I would need to find something that works with 80 columns of text in 640, but it is simpler just to use console mode at the bbs.
This is clearly not an ideal computer for BL3, which is designed for Xvesa, but I switched to it from BL1 to be able to use the PCMCIA modem.

startx won't work because it is set to 4-bit color

What I meant is that the default for Xvesa is 4-bit color and I cannot
find any way to set it to less than this with Xconfig/xinit.

Just running Xvesa without xinit seems to auto-choose some available mode (640x480x4 usually, but in my case x2 since x4 is not possible)

Can't you change that in /etc/Xconfig ?

It reads
640x480
2button

I tried adding to the first line x2 and x1 - this does not work.
4-bit (16-color) is 640x480, 12-bit is 640x480x12.
There seems to be no way to specify 4-color (2-bit).

Is there some easy way to use the BL1 VGA setup
in Bl3?

I suppose you could copy /etc/XF86Config from BL1
and install (pkg) the VGA16 Xserver.

What I came up with, since we have 256MB to work in, is to put on the glibc so from SW81 and use the delilinux links2 for graphical browsing since it works with svgalib (256 colors) and the BL3 links2 requires X. I suppose I could put 'real' X on there and hope it did more than 256 colors but this is obviously a wierdo video chip. Some day, maybe.

I left loop BL3 in the DOS partition with seejpeg and zgv to use for viewing images, for instance with links2 in CLI mode, since they won't work now in the hd version now that I have a later libvga.so.1. I need to try SW7.1 or 8.1 seejpeg and zgv.

I should learn to compile links2 for BL3 on laptop computers where XVESA won't work in enough colors to use links2, so the library upgrade won't be necessary. Now I have two such computers.