baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 04:27:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Stephen Clement wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

On a BL3 laptop 486 I just installed bash and tcsh packages from SW4.0 for use in a 'unix shell scripting' class. I could not find Korn shell for SW4.0. Did I miss any others?

Don't think so!

I also downloaded bash binary compiled with dietlibc - would this work better than the five-year-old bash from SW4.0?

I'm not sure that it would work at all.

Why not? The dietlibc one is statically compiled - would it not work with BL3 for any particular reason?

In order to practice writing scripts in the different shells, is it sufficient just to have bash and tcsh on there, or must I set up a couple of user accounts, one for each shell? I have not been closely following the method of doing this on a linux designed to work as single-user (and I hope it is not necessary). Perhaps it would be helpful to practice using .profile, .login and .cshrc on different accounts?

It is sufficient to just have them on there.

Could I create a .profile and .login and only use them when running in a particular shell, after typing bash or tcsh? Do I type bash login or something to use .profile? Exit and then Enter again? I have very little experience with this sort of stuff.

Instead of setting up user accounts, could I convert the loop bl3 to bash and the hd bl3 to tcsh? If so, how?

You'd have to edit the first disk (a pain) in BL3, although converting hd bl3 would be quite simple, you would just have to type tsch and you would have tcsh running.

You are thinking of the 2-disk lilo BL3. The loop version is easy to change (on DOS partition).