baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:24:54 -0500

sindi keesan wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The ash shell in BL3 is part of busybox

Yes.

perhaps I should also download the ash from
dietlibc?

No need.

I installed it already and got /bin/ash 61K. If it is identical to what is in busybox I will remove it and put back vt1 to /bin/sh.
I installed the SW40 ash.tgz

You might as well just use the busybox one.

For BL3: /etc/inittab
For BL2: /etc/passwd

I edited inittab but have not yet rebooted. To run tcsh and zsh will I need to make up .login .cshrc .zshrc etc. before using those terminals? I hope ash and bash can just use profile.

Probably .login, but besides that no.

I also need bash to install dosemu - is it enough
to just have it on the computer?

If your script starts with #!/bin/bash it will
look for bash in the /bin directory.

#!/bin/sh is what it looked for. Perhaps I should change the script and try to install again. #!/bin/bash instead of /sh? Dosemu did not work after apparently installing okay.

Just set them to #!/bin/shell . Replace shell with whatever shell you're using...

ash and bash (clones of UNIX Bourne shell bsh)
sh - don't know what this is, another clone of bsh?

No, sh is the generic name for that family of shells.
/bin/sh usually links to bash or ash or bsh. And the
scripts usually start with: #!/bin/sh

In BL3 it islinked to busybox =ash?
I found ash and sh man pages, wih sh linked to ash.

Yes, in BL3 they are symlinked.

I have installed bash and tcsh from SW40 and I will
install also the full ash (package around 50K)

No point installing ash. BL3 already has the full ash.

I also saw mention of sash (standalone sh) and scsh
(scheme sh).

There are many different shells around, some very small.
One of the smallest is msh (which is used by the loop
version of BL3 to do the housekeeping necessary to mount
the loop file). If you have the loop version of BL3,
you can execute msh like this:
/initrd/bin/sh
It is not user-friendly -- I removed help to save space.

Currently using the hd version. Will play with this another time.

Stephen Clement