baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:01:47 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> The ash shell in BL3 is part of busybox

Yes.

> perhaps I should also download the ash from
> dietlibc?

No need.

> > .profile is only executed when you come from login.
>
> Isn't there some way to execute it after logging in too?

Yes. See 'man bash' for the relevant parameters.

> But what file(s) would I change to convert from
> the default to bash or tcsh?

For BL3: /etc/inittab
For BL2: /etc/passwd

> I also need bash to install dosemu - is it enough
> to just have it on the computer?

If your script starts with #!/bin/bash it will
look for bash in the /bin directory.

> ash and bash (clones of UNIX Bourne shell bsh)
> sh - don't know what this is, another clone of bsh?

No, sh is the generic name for that family of shells.
/bin/sh usually links to bash or ash or bsh. And the
scripts usually start with: #!/bin/sh

> I have installed bash and tcsh from SW40 and I will
> install also the full ash (package around 50K)

No point installing ash. BL3 already has the full ash.

> I also saw mention of sash (standalone sh) and scsh
> (scheme sh).

There are many different shells around, some very small.
One of the smallest is msh (which is used by the loop
version of BL3 to do the housekeeping necessary to mount
the loop file). If you have the loop version of BL3,
you can execute msh like this:
/initrd/bin/sh
It is not user-friendly -- I removed help to save space.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru