baslinux - Re: [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XVESA on a Compaq 486 laptop - impossible pallette format
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:05:30 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

So SVGALIB appears to be interfering with XVESA.

Yes indeed. They fight for the same screen.

But I thought I had unloaded SVGALIB when I went out of seejpeg and then tried to load XVESA. Something must have been left in memory.

XVESA has a lot of problems.

I agree. But I can find nothing so small/simple
that works better.

DOS? We will use it on this computer toview with more than 256 colors.

the default for Xvesa is 4-bit color and I cannot
find any way to set it to less than this with Xconfig
Just running Xvesa without xinit seems to auto-choose
some available mode

You can get "auto-choosing" by removing the $1 parameter
from the startx script.

I tried removing $1,and then also -screen $1, and I still get the same impossible pallette message when I type startx. I will stick with the alias for Xvesa (which uses 4-color mode tho xinit apparently cannot) and avoid xinit (or probably not use Xvesa on this computer at all but try to get the SVGA server to display 256 or more colors - do I pick the lowest possible hor and vert settings? LCD color 640x480x64K max colors in DOS).

Hm, to use dosemu with a CAD program I need X. But 4-color ought to be fine.