baslinux - [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

On a BL3 laptop 486 I just installed bash and tcsh packages from SW4.0 for use in a 'unix shell scripting' class. I could not find Korn shell for SW4.0. Did I miss any others?

I also downloaded bash binary compiled with dietlibc - would this work better than the five-year-old bash from SW4.0?

In order to practice writing scripts in the different shells, is it sufficient just to have bash and tcsh on there, or must I set up a couple of user accounts, one for each shell? I have not been closely following the method of doing this on a linux designed to work as single-user (and I hope it is not necessary). Perhaps it would be helpful to practice using .profile, .login and .cshrc on different accounts?

Instead of setting up user accounts, could I convert the loop bl3 to bash and the hd bl3 to tcsh? If so, how?