baslinux - Re: [BL] shell scripting

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shell scripting
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:40:49 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Stephen Clement wrote:

I installed the SW40 ash.tgz

You might as well just use the busybox one.

I cd'ed to /bin and mv ash ashsw40 and then ln -s sh ash,
so now if I write a script with ash it will use busybox ash.
I also changed inittab vt1 to /bin/ash.

I edited inittab but have not yet rebooted. To run tcsh and zsh will I need to make up .login .cshrc .zshrc etc. before using those terminals? I hope ash and bash can just use profile.

Probably .login, but besides that no.

I have not rebooted, but (without adding .login etc,just leaving profile as is) I tried out the various shells from /bin

ash or bash give me prompt /bin/<#>
tchs gives me # (no indication of where I am)
zsh gives me \w<\$>

I think we need to learn how to set the prompt to show directory but otherwise all of these shells can apparently be used without .login or .zshrc etc (unless they have inherited them from ash). I cannot try out the different shells in different vt's until I reboot (or figure out how to run inittab again without doing so - just type inittab?)

I also need bash to install dosemu - is it enough
to just have it on the computer?

If your script starts with #!/bin/bash it will
look for bash in the /bin directory.

#!/bin/sh is what it looked for. Perhaps I should change the script and try to install again. #!/bin/bash instead of /sh? Dosemu did not work after apparently installing okay.

Just set them to #!/bin/shell . Replace shell with whatever shell you're using...

But if I keep changing shells that won't work. sh was pointing to busybox ash and dosemu script did not work. I changed to /bin/bash and it installed properly. Maybe tchs or zsh would have worked too,but busybox ash did not,something was missing.

I could also have changed sh to be linked to bash instead of sh.
I will remember this next time a script won't run in BL3, change sh to bash.

Stephen Clement