baslinux - Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:36:40 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> >> tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> >
> > That is your modem. cardmgr found your PCMCIA
> > card and put it at /dev/ttyS1
>
> /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ:4
> S1 2f8 3
>
> Card is plugged into the top PCMCIA slot and when I
> run cardmgr -o I get two beeps at the end

Two beeps means cardmgr has identified the card and
installed the appropriate modules. You should also
get two beeps when you execute: /etc/pcmcia/start

> I could try testing this modem in another computer.

The fact that the modem is correctly identified and
connected to /dev/ttyS1 means the computer and cardmgr
have done their jobs. If your modem is failing, the
fault probably lies with the modem hardware (including
cable) or with operator error (eg misconfigured dialer).

> It was working in one that died when left plugged in
> overnight to see if the battery would charge.

When that laptop died, was the PCMCIA modem plugged in?
If so, the failure of the modem could be related to the
death of the laptop.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru