baslinux - Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:05:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The 28.8K works in the other two computers but does
not dial in this one. No error messages about what
is going on - is there some way to make eznet verbose?

Have you read /var/eznet/transcript.0 ?
Or you can get the same thing by doing:
---------
eznet log
---------
I did eznet log and got a list of commands sent and received, including a dialing string.

Is there some way to use eznet to produce a dial tone? That is what we are not getting. We are going to try kermit on there because it tells us when it is not getting a dial tone and what else it thinks is going on.

We now have four working pcmcia modems - 2400 (identified as 16450), 14.4, 28.8, and 57.6. The middle two by default dial pulse unless we put t in front of the phone number, the other two tone. All work in two laptops and even in a pcmcia slot with ISA card that we put into one computer to test with. All but the 28.8K work in the laptop of interest. We left the 14.4 in there until we get something better going.

We found some DOS pcmcia drivers that work in the Toshiba laptop but not in the Compaq, where they tell us that it is not an Intel standard, even with the 2400 modem which works with linux on there. So the Compaq (the oldest of the computers, a 486 as opposed to pentium) is nonstandard. We don't know why the two older modems work when the 28.8 does not.

The linux setup in the Compaq at least finds the socket and modem, just won't dial with the 28.8K modem. We will try Kermit on that computer to see if the problem is with eznet/pppd.

Can someone recommend any other purely DOS pcmcia modem program? We found a couple that appear to require Windows for setup.