baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu? wp51?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu? wp51?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 23:07:38 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded a slightly older binary of DOSemu (1.99.1.2) and it does NOT run on BL3. The current binary needs the SW81 glibc. I may try that eventually with it. The current binary on BL2 won't display A S or ^ in CLI. The patch involves changing dosemu.conf but I could not get it to work. I installed under /root so tried remarking out some lines in the dosemu script that pertain to non-system-wide installation, with no improvement.

I have BL2 set up with XVESA.
XVESA -screen 640x480x16 &rxvt (no wm)
cd /root/dosemu
xdosemu
(cannot be plain 'dosemu' or you get an error message later about SHARE while trying to run a DOS program)

First copy over any DOS programs to somewhere in /root/dosemu (D:). I have not yet fiddled with autoexec.bat to put other directories on the path so cd to the directory where the programs are.

This gives me a full-screen DOS window from which I could run, complete with A and S (but not ^ if I recall right):
a small text editor
4dos
a small CAD program (it displays very slowly) with a PS/2 mouse

I will try WP51 on another computer under Xvesa since I already set it up there to try in CLI mode. There is still the problem of Alt-F4 being not block but chvt 4.

Therefore Xvesa does not appear to be a problem for WP51, but the Alt-Fn combinations do. BL3 probably will need libc upgraded to run the precompiled binary dosemu. The later library will also let you run xpdf (previous versions don't work with the newest pdf format) in precompiled binary, and Opera 7.23. Maybe someone wants to compile dosemu (the latest version with the AS bug fixed) for libc5?

ldd: All the files I look at are not a.out or ELF - freeedos or dosemu.

Mode mono does not appear to do anything. Dazzle acts strangely under it but continues in color. In mode co80 dazzle runs really slowly.
The FreeDOS edit program remains blue. So there appears to be no Hercules emulation in dosemu. On a TTL monitor it would not display underlines.

I personally don't want to use WP51 under dosemu because I run it in mono mode so as to see underlines rather than colors, but I willcheck out if you can remap vc 1 to 11, etc.