baslinux - Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] configuring BL3 for PCMCIA modem
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:22:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some way to use eznet to produce a dial tone?

The dial tone comes from your phone line.
If it is not there, there is nothing that
eznet can do to produce it.

There are AT codes (X,X0,X1,X3) for dialing
without waiting for a dial tone. eznet can
be used to send those codes.

I tried adding to the end of eznet.conf
init1 ath1 to go offhook - this did not help. I am presuming that you need to go offhook before dialing. In DOS echo ath1 > com2 does the trick with one modem that won't dial otherwise, and with two other modems at another address where they won't dial otherwise (they will dial at the first address - wrong strength phone signal?). Two cirrus modems needed to echo ath0 > com2 before they would dial, for some reason.

I will try adding instead atX. We have many old modem books listing these codes.

Should it be AT not at? In DOS it does not matter.

There are AT codes for turning on the speaker
(M1,M2) so that you can hear the dial tone.

We can hear the dial tone with three other modems in this computer, and with this modem in three other computers. For some reason this 28.8K modem dials pulse as default (as does the 14.4). The 2400 ad 57600 dial tone as default. Tone and pulse both work on our line.

> eznet can be used to send those codes. >
We are going to try kermit on there because it
tells us when it is not getting a dial tone

eznet will probably do the same (when you give
it the appropriate init string for your modem).

We will work at it. It is suggestive that the computer won't work in DOS with our pcmcia software (not Intel compatible) whereas two other computers will work with the DOS drivers. Maybe this modem is simply not built to work with this combination of hardware and software. Compaq is screwy. Are there any other linux dialers we could try? The computer is finding the slot and the modem, just won't dial with it.

The Intel modem works here, the Sportster does not.

Compaq is often different. The above problem is in a Compaq 486 laptop.

We ran hdparm on the desktop Compaq hard drive when it was giving linux reset problems. Put some setting somewhere as a result of what the instructions said to do. Do you think that is why this is the only drive which will work with Realaudio without a seg fault? I could read about hdparm and try it on another drive. I put another linux drive in there with nearly the same software, and it would segfault - has to be either the software being slightly different, or the drive itself. (I suppose I could try the working drive in a different motherboard to confirm).

I have kermit on this computer in the ext2 BL1 drive - can I just mount the drive and run kermit from Bl1 while booted into Bl3 loop? The loop is getting nearly full and I am waiting to move Bl1 to another laptop for which we have to find or create screws so I can install BL3 to the ext2 and have room for bash, csh, and ksh (to be used in a shell scripting course).