baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:13:57 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> lilo itself is not trimmed, but the package lacks some
> of the usual lilo bits & pieces. It was designed simply
> for booting BasicLinux (without altering the MBR), not
> as a multi-purpose boot manager.

I just want to point out that, in conjunction with SBM, BL1's lilo package
turns out to be nearly perfect for booting multiple instances of BL. All
that's required is some minor editing of lilo.conf and using the -b switch
with the right options to install it to the partition rather than the mbr.
The size is right--only 31kb--and the configuration simple: no timeouts or
anything, but booting straight into BL. The SBM binary is only about 30kb
as well IIRC, so it's a nice, minimalistic combination for multibooting
more than one BL instance. DOS can be booted separately, of course--and
there's nothing preventing one from keeping loadlin and a kernel onhand in
case of booting problems. This seems like a good solution to me.

James