baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:07:46 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> Question is, why did the lilo.conf I had say read-only?

Because it was designed for BL1 (which needs to
boot read-only).

> which lilo is supposed to be used with BL3,

The lilo.tgz package from Slackware 4.0 is probably
best. But you can use the simple lilo package for
BL1 or any lilo package from Slackware 3.x.

Note: the floppy version of BL3 comes with a simple
version of lilo.

> run lilo on each BL partition--WITH the following
> special parameters: -v and -b /dev/hdXX.
> -v is for verbose output. -b is for bootdev

The -b parameter does the same thing as the boot
line in lilo.conf. If there is no boot line in
lilo.conf, it defaults to the boot sector of the
current root partition.

> I think maybe one can back up the mbr before writing
> lilo to it so as to restore it later.

I believe lilo automatically puts a copy of the old
mbr in the /boot directory before writing a new mbr.
This is used by the lilo uninstall routine.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru