baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 13:52:08 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> However, it seems that the lilo for BL1 is some sort
> of trimmed down version (isn't it, Steven?),

lilo itself is not trimmed, but the package lacks some
of the usual lilo bits & pieces. It was designed simply
for booting BasicLinux (without altering the MBR), not
as a multi-purpose boot manager.

> When I installed it and edited lilo.conf to add my DOS
> partition, when I went to run lilo, I was told chain.b
> was missing.

You can probably copy chain.b from another lilo installation
(I don't think it's version specific).

> It gets as far as mounting the filesystem readonly,

That's your problem.

> frees unused memory, then starts init. But right
> after that I get
> No more tasks for init -- sleeping forever

That's what happens when you boot BL3 readonly. It must
be booted read-write. There's a lilo parameter for that.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru