baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:20:50 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> > Question is, why did the lilo.conf I had say read-only?
>
> Because it was designed for BL1 (which needs to
> boot read-only).

So booting other BL's using SBM and lilo in the superblock of the
partition won't involve editing that line (to read-write), right? That
only needs to be edited for BL3 installs. For a BL1/2 install, lilo.conf
gets used pretty much as is--except for the possible use of the -b switch
when running lilo to write it to disk (see below).

> The -b parameter does the same thing as the boot
> line in lilo.conf. If there is no boot line in
> lilo.conf, it defaults to the boot sector of the
> current root partition.

Ok. So one could add a line like boot=/dev/hdXX to lilo.conf and then run
lilo with only the -v switch? That might be more idiot-proof than running
it with the -b switch from the command line.

James