baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:15:25 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, James Miller wrote:

> in my lilo.conf, I changed root=CURRENT to root=/dev/hda2 (substitute the

I've just pkg'd lilo from BL1 to a different BL3 partition. In the
resulting lilo.conf, I did NOT change the root=CURRENT line, just to see
if it was really necessary to specify the partition. Turns out this is
NOT necessary. It boots fine leaving that line as is. The only thing
that needs modifying in BL1's lilo.conf is the read-only line: this must
be changed to read-write before running lilo -v -b /dev/hdXX. So, the
new, updated directions are:

> Get SBM first, which can run either from DOS or from Linux. But
> installing it should be the last step. Then, pkg lilo on each of your BL
> partitions. Next, you need to copy over the kernel and put it in the
> /boot directory on each BL partition. Then, you need to edit lilo.conf:
> change read-only line to read-write. After this you'll need to run lilo
> on each BL
> partition--WITH the following special parameters: -v and -b /dev/hdXX.
> -v is for verbose output. -b is for bootdev, and causes lilo to install
> in the first sectors of the (BL) partition you specify. This makes the
> partition bootable with SBM. Finally, you can install SBM to the mbr and,
> when it comes up, you should be able to select and boot straight to your
> BL partition using it--works on my machine anyway.

Should this be an FAQ item for people that want to avoid DOS memory mgmt
problems or who may want to have more than one BL partition? For us
beta-testers it could be helpful, too.

James