baslinux - Re: [BL] lilo report

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] lilo report
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:33:29 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I think you mean I can boot Bl3 and use the lilo
> that comes with it (is it included in just the 2
> floppy version

Yes.

> or also in the loop version?),

No, it uses loadlin.

> mount ext2 BL3 partition and cd to it and then run lilo,

The default lilo.conf (created by floppy install-to-hd)
targets the current root partition. If you want it to
target a mounted partition, you need to edit it.

> then mount ext2 BL2 and cd to it and run the same lilo
> with different switches and/or lilo.conf.

I recommend making different lilo.conf files and
selecting them as required. For example:
---------------------
lilo -v -C lilo.conf2
---------------------

> In lilo.conf I need a line about read-write for BL3

Yes.

> but not for BL2 (should I specify read-only or is that default)

I recommend specifying read-only. The default is
different for different versions of lilo/loadlin.

> so I should edit that line before using lilo to install
> kernel to BL2.

You will need to edit more than that. I suggest you make
two different lilo.conf files and use the -C parameter to
choose between them.

> But I don't really need the -b /dev/hbXX line if I CD to
> the / of BL2 or BL3 and can just type lilo -v,

That's not correct. The current directory is irrelevant.
What matters is the the current root filesystem (and the
partition it is on). By default lilo targets the current
root (eg the one specified by root= on the loadlin line).

> if I have the kernel in the /boot directory of BL2 or
> BL3 and am at / when I run lilo.

All of those details need to be specified in lilo.conf.
A simple change of directories will not change the lilo
defaults.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru