baslinux - Re: [BL] Bl3-32 will not boot

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Bl3-32 will not boot
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 15:26:37 +1300

Jim Howard wrote:

> Recently I downloaded and tried to run the loop version,
> without sucuss.
>
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 07:00: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> dev:07:00 blksize=1024 blocknr=1 sector=2 size=1024 count=1
> EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 07:00: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> FAT bread failed
> Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 07:00

That message occurs when fs.img is corrupt. The most
likely cause is unzipper failure. fs.img is a strange
file. Some unzippers get it wrong.

> 4. Used Winzip and pkunzip on diffrent occasion to unzip files.

pkunzip 2.04g works fine for me.

----------------------later----------------------------------
> Stumbled across the solution to my problem while downloading
> some addons. I downloaded the bzimage file

Do you mean zimage.p1 ???

> found at:
> www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/addons

Missing hyphen in: /add-ons

> then I modified the boot.bat file to point to this file
> instead of zimage. ran boot.bat and there it was

It is hard to understand how a kernel change could affect
the viability of fs.img. The only difference between
the kernels is one is designed for 386s and the other
is optimized for Classic Pentiums. Otherwise the two
kernels are identical. I suppose there might be something
in the 386 design that is triggering a failure in your
Pentium (but I can't image what). The default kernel works
fine in my Pentium.

> BasicLinux 3.2.

Version 3.3 has been out for several months now.
The changes were significant (particularly in
relation to X). Some of the add-on packages that
use X do not work properly with 3.2.