baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <sisaac AT netaxs.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:05:16 -0500

> If I use the DOS from Windows 98 my motherboard problems disappear, but
> that means rebooting with a floppy disk, or putting Win98 DOS on my
> computer, after which I cannot defragment it with the Win98 DOS defrag
> unless I run Win98.

Offhand, I don't see that defragmenting the hard disk is needed?
All you need to boot MS-DOS 7.10 is io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com
in the root directory of C: drive?

> >> Will your ASUS boot linux from DR-DOS or MS-DOS or Free-DOS with loadlin
> >> from Steven

> Thanks. Skip 4DOS - try FreeDOS, MS-DOS 6.22, or DR-DOS if you have them.
> 4DOS is not a DOS, it goes on top of it like a shell.

Sindi, I need to do some other things now, so will just report on this
morning's activities.

[ASUS P5A rev 1.03, BIOS ver 1.09 I think. Matrox Productiva G100 AGP
video, ISA Sportster 56k modem, ISA SB16 sound card, couple of hard
drives on IDE 1 & 2, ASUS CD-ROM, Plextor CD-RW]

(BL3.3.2 had already been installed to /dev/hda2)

I found a set of two floppies. Booted with "1", and was instructed to put
in floppy "2".
Apparently IBM/MS-DOS 3.3 booted, and then loadlin started BL2.1 ramdisk.

Then, having downloaded a 0.9 beta? FreeDOS, I rawrite2 the .img file to
floppy disk.

Renamed C:\io.sys and msdos.sys and command.com to other names.

Booted with that.

It says FreeDOS kernel 0.0.35

Went to C:\baslin

booted BL3 just fine.