baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 02:53:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

Using LOADLIN from the DOS that comes with Windows 98.

Sindi said:
Would this loadlin be on the Win98 CD? It is not installed as part of
Win98.

Sorry, I meant that I used LOADLIN (comes in the BL package) under the
DOS that comes along with Windows 98, I think ver 7.10.

If I use the DOS from Windows 98 my motherboard problems disappear, but that means rebooting with a floppy disk, or putting Win98 DOS on my computer, after which I cannot defragment it with the Win98 DOS defrag unless I run Win98. I woudl have to use a DR-DOS or FreeDOS boot floppy to defrag. Possible but a nuisance.

Are you saying that WIN98 DOS loadlin works to boot linux on your
board after you boot into some DOS other than Win98 DOS?

No, I haven't used other DOSs hardly at all. I think that BL3.32 didn't
start up when I tried LOADLIN under 4DOS 7.50

4DOS is an add-on to DOS. I have not tried booting with it loaded.

Will your ASUS boot linux from DR-DOS or MS-DOS or Free-DOS with loadlin
from Steven

I'll see what I have around; maybe FreeDOS, as well as 4DOS.

Thanks. Skip 4DOS - try FreeDOS, MS-DOS 6.22, or DR-DOS if you have them.
4DOS is not a DOS, it goes on top of it like a shell.

Sheldon