baslinux - Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:57:52 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> Booted into BL2 ramdisk, mount and chroot to the ext2
> partition, and I discovered that I also need to run
> rc.S and rc.M where I made changes to keyboard and monitor,
> and that I am still using the old .profile and profile,

chroot simply uses the new partition as the root filesystem.
It does not rerun the startup scripts for you.

> How would I change to the new .profile/profile while still
> logged in to the new shell?

profile is a script. You can execute it. If you execute it
with a preceeding . the changes persist.

> I also have only three not four terminals (agettys) -
> how would I switch those over to the ext2 versions?

By running chroot on each one. This can be automated
(I think) by putting it in /etc/profile.

> I have 'dial' in .profile for ppp-on and it won't work

That's because you haven't activated that profile.

> How is chroot /hd different from chroot /hd /bin/sh ?

It isn't. /bin/sh is the default.

> I have bash, I think, in BL2. SHould I try chroot /hd /bin/bash?

That should work. You might try a parameter after bash
(eg -i or -login). You may be able to get bash to activate
the profile on that partition.

> Please advise on how to reload .profile, profile, and
> the *tab files so that I will be truly in the ext2 version

I suggest you make one script containing all the settings
you require for the HD partition and execute that script
immediately after your chroot. Or, if you can find a bash
parameter that activates profile, you might be able to put
everything you need in there.

> Is there something simple I could try instead to get this
> computer to boot directly to the HD BLs?

Well, the simplest solution is to use loadlin (or lilo or
grub or whatever) to boot the HD partition directly.
Other than that, chroot can probably be configured to run
automatically (with automatic profile at the other end).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru