baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: My computers have gone crazy
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:43:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

But my ASUS is not acting erratic. One day it
behaved properly all the time (except that the
hard drive apparently went bad in it) and the next
it behaved badly all the time.

According to my dictionary, erratic means "Lacking
consistency, regularity or uniformity. Deviating
from the customary course." If your computer
behaves one way on Monday and a different way on
Tuesday, it is lacking consistency. It is erratic.

On Monday it worked properly 100% of the time. On Tuesday it had the same boot problem 100% of the time. So if you look at either day alone it is acting very regularly. But this is not a mail list about dictionary definitions. My board appears to have suddenly failed and I will have to find a workaround or yet another board for linux.

The DFI behaves properly 5/6 of the time

Also erratic.

Definitely so. Odd that it happened to three of the same model board - I had thought it might be specific to that model board somehow. But now my ASUS has the same problem (which it did noth ave before) and Sheldon's similar model does not. Something probably broke, rather than being a design problem. (Or it was designed such as to break easily).

I would hate for people reading about your erratic
computer to get the impression that BasicLinux is
causing problems. It isn't. The mostly likely
cause of your difficulties is flakey hardware.

Yes, I have hardware given to us because people could not get it to work properly, probably with Windows. But half the time we were able to fix the problem - broken battery socket, bad floppy or CD-ROM or hard drive.
The other half of the time we had bad CMOS or other board problems.

Now we know why these three DFI's were given to us. Maybe the ASUS really is erratic and it broke for them, worked for us, and broke again.
Anyway, I cannot use it with loadlin and DR-DOS or FreeDOS.

Basiclinux is working on hardware that other linuxes have failed on (often because they expected newer video, more RAM, 1.44 floppy disk, huge hard drive, etc.).

I am off to try Sheldon's idea of just changing 3 system files to Win98, and seeing if DR-DOS or FreeDOS defrag will still work.