baslinux - [BL] FreeDOS defrag vs Win98

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] FreeDOS defrag vs Win98
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:23:11 +0000 (UTC)

I am looking for a way to use Win98 DOS without needing to use Win98, on a DOS/linux computer, that will let me defrag without having to boot some other DOS from a floppy disk first.

Boot with Win98 DOS (three system files).

MS-DOS defrag - says it needs DOS 6.0 or later (apparently 7 is not later)

FreeDOS - starts to defrag. Windows then puts a message on the screen telling me it has disabled direct disk access to protect long file names and to read about LOCK command. I read in a book - you need to unlock the drive to allow scandisk or defrag to operate on it (in 16-bit mode). The FreeDOS blue display is gone, but FreeDOS continues to do Wr's anyway.

FreeDOS appears to work on a 16-bit DOS partition even under Win98 DOS.

We also tried booting with a FreeDOS boot disk and running FreeDOS defrag. Same results but this time you can see more than just one characters of W or r at a time. Both times it reported a problem midway through and stopped defragging (corrupted file).

FreeDOS appears to be automatically unlocking Win98's lock.

Unfortunately, running FreeDOS this way appears to have really messed things up. We are now running Windows scandisk and it reports a large number of files that are damaged or of misreported size.

The Win98 CAB files are in this partition, which might be one of the problems (long file names). We can always restore them from CD. But a lot of DOS utilities and other files (jpg's) also got the wrong file size. Scandisk says it fixed them. While fixing other things it filled up the drive and I had to delete some stored files. Still going.....

So it may not be a safe thing to run Freedos defrag after doing a Win98 boot. It should be tested further on a drive with unimportant files.
Perhaps I should notify FreeDOS to warn people rather than just bypassing the Win98 lock.

I think I will run FreeDOS defrag from a FreeDOS boot disk if I switch to Win98 DOS to fix my linux boot problem. Or more likely switch hard drives and cards over to the ASUS from the Win98 computer and hope Win98 is happy in the ASUS motherboard. The Gateway where it lives now won't boot loop BL3 with Win98 anyway (and will with any other DOS). Kernel panic, attempt to access beyond end of device. Maybe some conflict between how we formatted (some other DOS, or PQ-MAGIC) and Win98?