baslinux - Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:54:54 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> chroot /hd (with no command followin)

That defaults to /bin/sh
I included /bin/sh in my suggestion because I wasn't
sure the busybox chroot would do the default.

> How would running /bin/sh work?

Try the following:
-------
/bin/sh
-------
It gives you a sub-shell (which works just like your
ordinary shell).

> I don't understand this at all.

"chroot /hd /bin/sh" runs a subshell (sh) on the filesystem
it finds on /hd (assuming /hd/bin/sh exists). The /bin in
the chroot command is relative to the new filesystem.

> Can I then run any command from the ext2 partition without chroot?

Yes. You are in the subshell until you type exit.

> chroot /hd seems to work.

As long as your version of chroot defaults to /bin/sh
(or whatever shell you have in /hd/bin) it will work.

> with chroot /hd I can no longer use the RAMdisk or
> loop version,

Your original filesystem should still be running on
your other ttys.

> chroot /dev/loop / or /dev/ram0 for BL2
> ought to get me back to the loop version or ramdisk version.

Exit gets you back.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru