baslinux - Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Switching from RAMdisk or loop to HD BL after booting, was Re: [BL] Cannot boot BL2 HD but RAMdisk works.
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:42:19 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I can boot BL2 from RAMdisk, or BL3 from loop, or SW40
> zipslack, but I cannot boot any version from hard drive.
>
> Once in RAMdisk bl2 I can mount /dev/hdb2 /hd and then
> chroot /hd links2, or other programs on hard drive,
> I can thus run programs from hard drive but chroot is
> a nuisance

It is much less of a nuisance when you do:
------------------
chroot /hd /bin/sh
------------------

> and it would be complicated to compile on such a system.

I've compiled from inside a chroot and it works fine.

> I tried to mount /dev/hdb2 /

That won't work. You use chroot for that sort of thing.

> Is there some way to boot with RAMdisk BL2 and then
> switch over to the HD by replacing /dev/ram0 with
> /dev/hdb2? Same kernel.

Use chroot to run /bin/sh. You can probably automate
it by putting it in a startup script (in baslinux.gz).

> Can chroot be somehow set up to work with every command
> instead of specifying it before each command?

That's what /bin/sh does. It gives you a CLI which you
can use to run whatever you want.

> Can this be automated in an rc file?

Probably. To do this you will need to edit the image
file for the ramdisk.

> Can one reformat a DOS drive from DR-DOS to some other
> DOS without losing what is on it?

Doesn't the sys command do that?

> I suppose I could copy all the files to the linux partition,
> reformat, and then copy them back.

That's what I do: boot Linux and do a tgz of the entire DOS
partition.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru