baslinux - [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 compiling, Ion WM
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:26:47 -0500 (CDT)

A couple of rather unrelated items in this post - one about compiling for
BL3 and the other about the Ion window manager (for Sindi). First,
compiling.

Are add-ons for BL3 to be compiled statically, Steven? I'm considering
doing a Slack 3.5 install here in a VMWare virtual machine and doing some
compiling for BL3. Were I to try compiling newer programs (say, a
graphical browser), what should I steer clear of? You addressed earlier
statically compiled programs stating, if memory serves, that all programs
in BL3 are statically compiled. Does that mean programs folks compile
themselves for BL3 should likewise be statically compiled?

And, for the Ion window manager. I was again looking at some information
on minimal window managers last night and reread some of Ion's pages. I
think this might be the window manager you're looking for, Sindi. It has
all the keyboard functionality of Ratpoison or screen, it seems, and the
same goal of mouseless operation for those who so desire. Yet X
applications can be run under it. What happens within the given X program
opened under Ion in terms of mouse functionality is, of course, the
program's responsibility. But accessing the window/frame that it runs in
is done via keyboard, as is opening and closing the program. Anyway, if
intersted, take a look at their web page (sorry I don't have the url: it
can be found readily by searching, though). I don't know if Ion is
available as a package for older Slackware releases. It may be necessary
to compile from source.

James