baslinux - Re: [BL] Introduction and a couple of questions.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Introduction and a couple of questions.
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 01:49:55 +0000

Joe Pardo wrote:

> 1. I want to take BL out of the DOS partition and put
> it on its own like a regular distro.
> What's the best way to do this?

Prepare a partition using fdisk and mke2fs, mount it at /hd
and execute install-to-hd

> Do I get packages from Slack 7.1 or 3.5 ?

The BL3 kernel is compatible with Slackware 7.1, so you get
modules (and alternative kernels) from there. At the moment
BL3 uses the same library (libc5) as Slackware 3 and 4, so
packages from those Slackwares should work. However, I am
considering switching to a newer/smaller library (uClibc) in
which case no Slackware packages will work. There are no plans
to change the BL3 kernel, so Slackware 7.1 will always be the
place to go for modules and kernels.