baslinux - Re: [BL] Rescue Disk not needed anymore but what about partitions

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Rescue Disk not needed anymore but what about partitions
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:44:46 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I think Steven explained that if you only want to
> run linux on your computer, 1MB should be enough
> for DOS.

1mb is sufficient for booting Linux (after it is installed).
However the version of BL1 for 4mb RAM needs a bigger DOS
partition to do the installation. I don't remember the
exact amount (5mb?) -- it's in the instructions, which I
do not have on this computer.

> Is there some advantage to using more than 8MB swap
> partition, Steven?

With 4mb RAM, 12mb swap is slightly better than 8mb.
However, the HD is only 40mb so that extra 4mb is
precious. There is no clear answer to this one.
On one hand, the compiler will appreciate the extra
swap; on the other, the extra 4mb would be really
handy for adding capabilies or for just storing
your source code.